Wednesday, April 19, 2017

How to Make a Unique and Convenient Display for Dies

Charity here with a tutorial on how to make a unique and convenient display for dies. I like to display my craft supplies so I remember to use them. Dies are such thin bits of metal that it is easy to damage or lose them if they aren't stored securely. That means I tend to forget about the variety I own. I came up with this handy holder to help me out.
~ Magnetic Die Display ~
At Christmas my wonderful cousin gifted me this gallery frame for 4x6 photos. It arrived the same day I received new X-Cut feather dies from Amazon. It didn't take long for me to decide to combine the two. 
My first step was to remove the paper blanks and trace the inner edge of the frames onto the card board backing. I cut adhesive backed magnetic strips to fit these outlines. Finally I cut a thin, patterned paper from The Robin's Nest, to cover the magnets. Just a thin line of ScraPerfect's Best Glue Ever was enough to hold the paper firmly to the magnets without ripples.
I used Cathedral Specialty Paper because I love the pattern and bits of gold dust. It reminds me of fancy Italian writing paper. I only had enough paper for 5 of the frames so I added gold washi tape to the last one.
 The thick, black frames needed sprucing up so I pulled out my scraps of Robin's Nest paper and assortment of Dew Drops. The large butterflies and crown are punched from Glitter Chipboard and the castle is cut from Silver Castles Glitter Cardstock.
 The shaped punches are all Kreaxions, which can be purchased from Just Imagine Crafts.
To add details to my tiny bits of cardstock I used Embellie Gellie. It ensures I place things exactly where I want them.
 I used Boy rub-ons for the center design on the last frame.
Using the Best Glue Ever I stacked Glitter Chipboard shapes and centered dew drops on the butterflies. I also added Butterflies Dew Drops to the frame.
 I mopped up the little bits of glue smears with the Best Cleaner Ever. A dab on a Q-tip and a swirl of my fingers was all I needed.
Now I can display my dies with ease. I also have a secure place to put them if I need to set them aside for using again on the same project.  
Supplies:
Gallery Frame:Wayfair
Magnet:Tree House Studio
Paper, Dew Drops, Rub-ons:The Robin's Nest
Glue, Embellie Gellie, Cleaner:ScraPerfect
Shaped Punches:Kreaxions 601, 604, 606, 611, 612, 901, 909, 913

Scrap On!

~charity~



No comments:

Post a Comment