Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Memo Board: May Arts July Craft Challenge

When the sweet ribbon lady over at the May Arts blog offered silk ribbon for the July Craft Challenge I jumped on board with an olympic size leap. I suggested a Memo Board  with ribbon embroidery around the edges and received 2 yards each of 1/4 inch silk ribbon in white, pink, blue, and purple.
I picked this up from a friends garage sale for $2.
I removed the ribbon and buttons and started hunting for a fabric the right size to cover this board.
I settled on a piece of natural colored burlap. I measured the places for the ribbon and marked them on my fabric, then drew out my design.
I love the way roses look sprawling over an old fence. To get that look I sewed my fence on the fabric with the white ribbon and then used pink silk ribbon and grey seed beeds for the roses.
The yellow flowers are made from chevron stripe May Arts ribbon from a previous project as well as beads from my abondoned jewelery box. For the flower stem I used a back stitch with the blue silk ribbon. 
The butterfly is made from the purple silk ribbon, edged with cobalt blue beads.
The cross ribbons are vintage upholstery trim and the buttons are mother of pearl tied with Twinery twine.
And here is the finished product.
Thanks for taking a closer look!!!

~charity~

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny, I was asked to make one of these for someone! Yours turned out great! Thank you for the inspiration~

    ReplyDelete